Tuesday, June 6, 2017

We Don't Believe What's On TV

A week without tv. It doesn’t sound like much, but you’d be surprised.

I had tried to go a week without tv earlier this year and failed miserably when I spent a whole day sick in bed and used tv to ease my pain.

This week however, was surprisingly easy.

I truly enjoyed all of the free time I found for myself when I didn’t throw tv on in the background of my life. Not only was I super productive, but I was super busy. I had school appointments to worry about, I had a wedding shower, I’m part of a running clinic, and my parents were moving. I did still have downtime though during the week, I just spent it differently. Instead of lying in bed watching tv shows I’m not really even into, I worked on a weaving that I have previously been ignoring. I worked on paiting a cookoo clock I meant to paint like 3 months ago. Jordan and I even played board games in bed a couple nights instead of watching tv.



Mostly, watching less tv made me feel more productive and less foggy. My attention was always on what I wanted it to be on. I didn’t feel like I was ever having to multitask to get something done and I definitely didn’t feel like I was pulling myself away from a screen in order to get things done.

When we had exhausted our board games in our house and did just want to unwind together, Jordan and I did throw a movie on one night but I almost immediately fell asleep. At this point I feel like I’m not used to sitting down and not having to do anything. Having the tv do all the work for me made me immediately drowsy.

I’m definitely going to keep trying to keep tv at a distance in my life, at least for now. I’ll be watching tv again, but for now, I don’t want it following me around, or becoming my main priority for the night. Me and tv are “just friends” for now and “it’s complicated.”


So for now, I leave you with this lovely song: We Don't Believe What's on TV.

From the desk of:

Taylor Brown
TV Addict in Recovery

No comments:

Post a Comment